When someone answers "I don't know" I always feel confused and frustrated. There isn't really much that I ask that you won't know. I am talking about questions on everyday activity and your opinions on everyday life. I'm not asking you a minute fact on a particular subject that only a few would know. So, I never understand why people answer "I don't know."
To me, that phrase tells me - 1) the person doesn't care to think, 2) the person is avoiding my question, 3) the person is hiding something, or 4) the person really has no idea.
#4 is usually unlikely because there is always something there...
Instead of "I don't know", there's always phrases like "I'm not sure right now, let me think/check regarding the matter", "It's slipped my mind", "I haven't planned anything yet but I'm open to suggestions", "I'm really not interested", etc.
You can even ask them a question - "What do you suggest?" if you really DON'T KNOW.
You get the point, be specific when you answer questions. Even if you must say "I don't know" follow up with another sentence like "let me think about it" or "I might be free/busy". Don't just leave it at "I don't know" because for the other person it could mean a billion of things.
Miscommunications are always the reason for arguments and frustrations.
We can avoid misunderstandings if we are clear and precise when we speak.
No comments:
Post a Comment