Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Live to eat or eat to live?

So, do we live to eat or do we eat to live?
Honestly, I would side with live to eat. To me, it means that what we eat are divine foods. If we were to eat to live, we would not need much - some grains here and there, some wild vegetables, and rarely some form of animal meat and fat. Blah.

Obviously, my preference is known as the indulgent and usually "bad" diet. And we are what we eat. My blood test results are exemplary of the result of eating what I love most of the time. At 25 years old, my HDL (good high density cholesterol) are 40mg/dL - 6mg/dL under the minimum range. HDL is the one we want to be higher - think H for higher. My triglycerides are shockingly at 181mg/dL! If you know the ranges, I'm in the higher end of borderline HIGH. My LDL (low density cholesterol) are 118mg/dL (<130mg/dL is good). My total cholesterol is 194mg/dL (<200mg/dL is good).

As you can see, my triglycerides are terrible. Triglycerides - a type of fat that comes from the foods we eat and stored over consumption of calories in the blood.

It's abnormal to have cholesterol problems at my age. I'm glad I had my blood tested, because, honestly, I had a feeling that my cholesterol and blood sugar are not great.

I'm not obesed. I'm borderline normal - overweight. I don't smoke and I rarely drink OH. I'm a student, so stress can be expected. I live a sedentary - mild exercise lifestyle.

No excuses. To decrease my bad cholesterols and decrease my chances of heart disease/obesity/diabetes/stroke etc, I must change my diet and exercise regularly.

Easy to say, hard to do.

Diet - cut out processed sugar, chocolate, soda, and limit carbohydrates, STEAK, and butter.
Increase - vegetables, low sugar fruits, fiber, and fish.
Exercise - I do follow a yoga and treadmill walking regime during school breaks, but I should enforce a similar plan during school.

So, I'm choosing to eat to live. I guess, many people will argue that the food we eat to live taste better.

No comments:

Post a Comment